This recipe is from Wanderlust Festival Executive Chef Kevin Callaghan. Catch him at 2017 festivals—like Wanderlust O’ahu—and in a video series coming soon from Wanderlust TV. In the meantime, try your hand at making some of his beloved favorites for yourself with this weekly series! Giving it a go? Let us know by tagging @WanderlustFest and using #WanderlustKitchen.
Autumn Corn PuddingINGREDIENTS 4 tbsp unsalted butter ¾ cup yellow onion, chopped ¼ seeded poblano, chopped 2 tsp garlic, minced 4 cups fresh white corn kernels 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme 1 ¼ tsp salt Dash cayenne ¼ cup AP flour 4 large eggs 2 cups heavy cream ¼ cup granulated sugar ½ tsp ground black pepper 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese 4 strips bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled 2 tbsp green onions, chopped DIRECTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a two-quart baking dish and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and poblano peppers and cook, stirring for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add corn, thyme, ¾ tsp of salt, and the cayenne, and cook, stirring until just tender and starting to turn golden (approximately four minutes).
- Add flour and cook, stirring for two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Put half of the corn mixture in a food processor with a little of the custard and blend smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, sugar, thyme, remaining salt, and black pepper until frothy.
- Add the pureed corn, whole corn mixture, cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions and whisk to combine.
- Pour into the prepared dish and bake until set (knife comes out clean) for approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.