To meditate by definition is “to think deeply or focus one’s mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation.” In other words, it’s a timeout from life. A break from reality. It’s a process of moving our awareness inward, slowing everything down and discovering our true self. It’s complete stillness; oneness with the universe.
Too much, too fast? Think of it this way: Meditation can be anything that allows you to calm the mind, become present in the moment, and feel connected to the universe.
Below you’ll find 50 mini meditations. Pick and choose a few that excite you. Then pick a few more that you normally wouldn’t be caught dead doing.
50 MINI MEDITATIONS
1. Breathe. That’s all—just stop, close your eyes, and breathe.
2. Ponder the fact that each moment is another opportunity for greatness. The possibilities in life are endless. Chase your dreams.
3. Smell fresh flowers as you walk down the street.
4. Tell yourself you’re beautiful every time you look in the mirror. Every time. One of these times you will start to realize how true it really is.
5. Give high-fives and bear hugs. Everyone loves and need more of both.
6. Remind yourself of all the good things happening in your life.
7. Live with gratitude. If you are alive and reading this, you should feel grateful. Life is precious, be thankful for your blessings.
8. Practice patience.
9. Allow yourself to become so still that you can feel the air on your skin.
10. Find a body of water, tub, or pool and float; just float.
11. Slow down.
12. Wake up, stretch, and smile.
13. Try counting your breaths. Inhale for six seconds, hold for two, exhale for six, hold for two. Do five rounds.
14. Read a book. Let your mind transcend into a different space and time.
15. Fly a kite.
16. Take a nap in the middle of the day.
18. Go to a creative class. Paint, collage, scrap book, write poetry, anything that allows you to let your creativity flourish.
20. Lie in the grass and let the sun warm your skin.
21. Listen to the sounds of nature and breathe in fresh air.
22. Tell yourself how special you are. Believe it.
23. Create a vision board.
24. Take a yoga class!
25. Create a positive mantra and use it throughout the day.
26. Write yourself a sticky note that says “I love you” and put it on your fridge, bathroom mirror, or desk at work.
27. Take a day off work and devote it to yourself. Do things that make you feel good.
28. Self-massage. It may sound weird, but try it. Love yourself.
29. Have some alone time. Enjoy the silence and stillness.
30. Go for a run, hike, bike ride, swim, climb a tree, join a group fitness class. Exercise!
31. Try meditating while staring at the flame of a candle. Let your thoughts clear and live in the moment.
32. Set an intention each morning to work toward throughout the day.
33. If you work at a desk or sit for long periods of time, get up and stretch it out.
34. Listen to your favorite song. Sing out loud. Be proud of your voice.
35. Aromatherapy. Google it.
36. Cuddle. Yes, cuddling can be meditative.
37. Whistle or hum while you walk.
38. Go to bed early and sleep in longer than usual.
39. Plant a tree.
40. Make a smoothie.
41. Plan a vacation, you deserve one.
42. Start a journal.
43. Eat well. Your body is your vessel. It’s the only one we get, so take care of it.
44. Mindful meditation; Close your eyes, breathe, and acknowledge your feelings. Do so without judgment.
45. Tai Chi! Practice aligning your energy in the body and the mind.
46. Dance is meditation. Get wild.
47. Have a lazy Sunday.
48. Drive with the windows down.
49. Ask the universe for what you need and be open to receiving it.
50. Be happy. Life is short.
Photo by Ali Kaukas for Wanderlust.
Zuzu Perkal is an independent artist, photographer, yoga instructor, and adventure enthusiast in Austin, Texas. Her days are filled with coffee, paint, and daydreams. She believes mistakes are simply a beautiful opportunity for growth and that our own life experiences serves as our most valuable teachers. Zuzu recently graduated from Wanderlust’s first Teacher Training Program and is on a mission to continually expand her consciousness while following her journey down the yogic path. She is currently experimenting with the concept of a floating yoga studio and mixed medium practice.