If you want to rein in the mind, music can be the catalyst. Wherever you want to go (emotionally, spiritually, mentally), the right tunes can establish a mood that takes you there. It is the great transporter.
Here’s a process for finding a soundscape to transport you:
- Close your eyes
- Listen to your breath
- Imagine yourself in that place you want to be: if it’s on a boat, at a BBQ, under a starry sky.
- See yourself and imagine the people that would be with you. The key is to really just let your mind go to that place.
- Let yourself begin to paint the space with music. Be intuitive about it: What’s naturally playing in the background of your scene?
- Open your eyes and get to work sourcing music.
- Listen to the music and then play out the scene again in your mind. How do they match? Does the music help you get there quickly and vividly?
- Make a note of what works. Whenever you want to go on a little self retreat, you now have a some musical itineraries you can tap into.