November 13 is #WorldKindnessDay! To learn more or to get involved, check out the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation here.
Giving to others can be so rewarding and meaningful. It can be as simple as asking about someone’s day or offering to help a friend out with a favor. What makes these actions even better is knowing that the recipient will be surprised by our kindness and, hopefully, inspired to pass along the good sentiment. In the spirit of being our best selves, here are some ideas for random acts of kindness to bring a little joy to yourself and those around you.
- Write a note of thanks to a friend. You may see them daily, monthly, or once every few years, but how often do you tell them how much appreciate them?
- Buy the person behind you in line a coffee.
- Send an email to a co-worker’s manager to praise your co-worker’s help on a recent project or her extra effort.
- Put some coins in someone else’s meter if you see that the meter has expired.
- Leave an extra large tip for a server that goes above and beyond to make your visit special.
- Box up leftovers from meals to share with someone in need.
- Smile as you walk around your office or past strangers on the street.
- Give a detailed compliment to someone about what you admire about her/him.
- Help someone in need to carry groceries to her car.
- Leave an interesting book on the train, bus, or in a café.
- Refer someone to a job you think she would be particularly good at.
- Send flowers out of the blue to someone to show your love.
- Cook a meal for a roommate, loved one, or co-worker.
- Send an anonymous note to someone appreciating all the ways she makes a difference in the world.
- Sign up to serve food at a homeless shelter or food bank.
- Anonymously donate to a friend’s fundraising campaign.
- Send a friend who recently moved a gift certificate to a local restaurant.
- Ask someone what has inspired or excited her recently. Giving people a chance to convey what creates their happiness shows them you care.
- Put your phone away and focus on the person you are with.
- Give stuff away for free.
- Support a friend’s personal project by promoting her blog, inviting friends to her cause, or suggesting collaborations to enhance her mission.
- Foster a rescue pet and help it find a home.
- Give someone the benefit of the doubt.
- Do the dishes or take out the trash for your roommates.
Try engaging in one random act of kindness a week, or even once a day to achieve maximum bliss and happiness in knowing you have made someone’s life better!
Cameron Cler is traveler at heart, obsessed with seeing the world and discovering ways to contribute to positive global change. As a registered yoga teacher, she balances her constant travel and work in the startup world by channeling her inner yogi and welcoming peace in chaotic moments. Her passion is cultivating creativity and inspiration while sharing travel stories, yoga classes, wellness tips, and smiles with her friends, family, and students.