Have you recovered from the whirlwind of Memorial Day festivities? Personally, I know I over-indulged a bit more than usual this past weekend, and I'm here to tell you that it's totally OK. Holidays are the perfect time to treat yourself and have a little fun, and, you know, everything in moderation (including moderation). Summer is the best for a lot of reasons, but the abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables is one of my favorites. So, let's get back on track with an awesome arugula avocado salad that doesn't feel anything like deprivation. Arugula is full of phytochemicals that can help prevent cancer, along with Vitamins A, C, and K. Avocados are full of healthy fats and fiber to keep you full and feeling good. This recipe also contains strawberries to help boost immunity, pine nuts (which are actually seeds) for added energy, and olive oil to help stabilize blood sugar and cholesterol levels. It's great as a side dish or topped with grilled salmon or chicken for a super healthy meal.
Arugula Avocado Salad with Classic VinaigretteServes 2 INGREDIENTS Salad Ingredients: 2 cups baby arugula 1 avocado, seed and skin removed, sliced 6 strawberries, chopped 1/4 cup pine nuts 1/4 lemon 1/4 cub shaved parmesan (optional) Dressing Ingredients: 1/2 cup olive oil (extra virgin) 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 tsp. dijon mustard 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar Salt + pepper to taste DIRECTIONS
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a mason jar (or something like it) and give it a good shake. Set aside (extra dressing can also be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks).
- Toast your pine nuts: heat oven to 350 and place nuts on a baking sheet. Roast for approx. three to five minutes. Watch them very carefully, you don't want them to burn! Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, strawberries, avocado, toasted pine nuts, and parmesan. Squeeze lemon on top.
- Add your dressing a little bit at a time until you reach a satisfactory salad/dressing ratio.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper on top, and enjoy!