It’s common to create yearly goals, to-do lists, and vision boards to help guide your intentions. In Danielle LaPorte’s book, The Desire Map, she offers a new perspective on creating “goals with soul”—start with how you want to feel each year and let your desired feelings take the lead in your planning.
The book is chock-full of amazing information, working through the importance of understanding feelings and emotions and how to pinpoint your desires (while not getting too attached to specific outcomes) and define your goals. LaPorte taps into ancient wisdom with a spin and offer modern, practical advice for living your truth, all with the goal of helping readers define their core desired feelings (CDFs) on a yearly basis.
LaPorte’s writing style is fun, casual, energetic, and full of truth. She sprinkles inspirational and relevant quotes throughout, and pull quotes and workbook pages make this a truly functional piece to add to your nightstand.
LaPorte taps into ancient wisdom with a spin and offers practical, modern advice for living your truth, all with the goal of helping readers define their core desired feelings (CDFs) on a yearly basis.
If you are planning on reading or re-reading The Desire Map, here are some tips I’ve compiled to help get the most out of it:
- Talk to friends and peers about their feelings and share your own. Ask curious questions of others and yourself.
- Look honestly at the feelings that are not serving you well and consider their opposites. If you are feeling disengaged or disconnected, for example, the reverse could be feeling energized and abundant.
- Join a book club (such as Real Life Book Club) or other facilitated group as you read the book. It was incredible to have my co-members in Real Life Book Club to help hold me accountable, celebrate any wins, and inspire me to keep up with my goals.
- Consider purchasing the Desire Map Journal to help get you to your core desired feelings more quickly and deeply.
- As a baby step to get things moving, “try on” different CDFs and see how they suit you. If you feel a strong connection while practicing it, it’s probably just the right fit. It’s important to get it out there, do it, and learn as you go. Take action and celebrate it!
Have you read The Desire Map? Share your CDFs below!
Jenny Wiley is co-owner of an advertising agency in Wichita, Kansas, called Apples & Arrows. She began practicing yoga in 2007 as a way to balance her high-energy job with her grounded essence. When she’s not at work or on the mat, you can find this Midwest-born girl attending music festivals, making and practicing with hula hoops, and camping and enjoying the Kansas countryside with her family.