Often, we limit creativity to what society considers art. But you don’t have to be a painter to be an artist. Creativity is merely self expression—we’re all creative, in our own way. And we can experience a sense of travel and adventure through our creations, whether it’s food we make, trips we plan, or stories we write. To take your creativity one step further, try to push past the boundaries of yourself. The journey inward will satiate your wanderlust-filled soul more than any outside technique.
EMBRACE YOUR CREATIVITY
- Cook—Italian food, French food, Mexican food. Mmm! That’s only the beginning. Take a cooking class. Search online for a unique recipe to try. Get creative with spices and tantalize your taste buds with exotic flavors from around the world.
- Community—Gather people, start groups, and create your own community of kindred spirits. Imagine the benefits of a home bursting with fellow travelers and lovers of life.
- Fantasy trip—Visualize an upcoming voyage. To my surprise, what sometimes started as a daydream found its way into my reality. Feel free to bask in the pre-departure glory of your next inevitable adventure.
- Wanderlust list—Sure, you can write down the places in the world you would like to see. But more importantly, contemplate what wanderlust means to you. List your own ways to cultivate wanderlust wherever you are right now.
- Art—Reflect, recreate, and share your past travels through art and writing. Let the experience of the creative process take you to new places.
The most beautiful aspect of this creative process is that it never ends. With travel, we create beautiful friendships. We create art. We create, in ourselves, global understanding. Ultimately, our experiences create our lives.
“One’s destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things.” – Henry Miller
Outer truth-seeking journalist turned inner truth-seeking yogi, Nicole Harris now writes freelance and teaches yoga. Her practice on the mat began in Minnesota in 2011 and eventually led her to teaching in Florida. Her true passion is to cultivate awareness and live from that honest, real space as much as possible. She finds her quickest ways to get there are through nature, adventure, and travel. The deepest way is through a meditative yoga practice.